For the pictures please stop or click on the name of the sightes that you're interested
Dragon stones -In the central and northern parts of the country, in some really isolated places, in the vicinity of water springs one can find the Vishap stones or Vishapakars (dragon stone). These are characteristic menhirs vishap stones existed before Urartian period, that is, at least, the beginning of I mil BC, and most likely in II mil BC. Besides the dimensions, the stones have also special tops, with carvings. Some of the vishap stones have the form of a fish, more often reminding a catfish.
Garny canyon -It's a short but very impressive hiking, where you can see "Stone symphony" natural wonder-hanging cliffs in different formations.
Gosh lake -Lake Gosh is located in Tavush region, near Gosh village. The length of the lake is 100 m, width-80 m. Approximate depth is 8 m. In summer water temperature reaches up to 14 C. There are lots of different hand-made monuments in the territory of the lake. One have rarely confronts with so much alluring beauty, calmness, tranquility, and a seductive manifestation of nature's splendor.
Halidzor fortress -This fortress is located along a hill, near Kapan in Syunikprovince.This was originally built in the 17th c. to serve as a nunnery. The walls of the fortress are laid out in an irregular quadrangle site plan. Within the walls of the fortress are the remains of the church of St.Minas and a chapel. A secret tunnel once ran 500 m to the Voghji river to allow its inhabitents access to fresh water in the event of a siege.
Havuts Tar monastery -(located to the east of Garni, on the left shore of the Azat River) was a remarkable midcentury religious and cultural center of Armenia.
Juxtak monastery -The medieval group of monuments of theJukhtak monastery are situated in the middle of the forest 3km north-west of Dilijan. The monastery consists of separated twin churches. The western, St.Astvatzatzin (Holy Virgin) was built in 1201, by monastery leader Hayrapet. There are two khachkars at the entrance, created with delicate decorations.
Kakavaberd fortress --is one of the few Armenian fortresses that are relatively well-preserved. The fortress is a great travel destination because it is a historical site, it is an interesting architectural piece and it has a stunning view around it. Kakavaberd Fortress is located in Ararat province, more precisely in Khosrov Forest State Reserve. The fortress can be found on a ridge that overlooks Azat River Gorge. The Fortress of Kakavaberd was first mentioned in the 9th-10th centuries. The Fortress of Kakavaberd is also known as the fortress of Geghi. The fortress was built on top of a mountain, which is inaccessible from three sides because of steep terrain. The walls of the fortress stretch from the north to the east. They are 2-2.5 meters thick and 8-10 meters tall. Inside the fortress there are the church and ruins of several other structures.
Kayanberd fortress -is located in the Lori district in between Haghpat and Sanahin villages, in the spot where the two canyons are joined right on the cape. It was built by the monastery archbishop Hovhannes in 1233. It was called Haghpat's monastery of SoorbNshan(Kayanberd and Dsevank names were given later). It was destroyed by Tatars in 1241. Inside the fortress there are multiple ruins of houses, pools, and clay water-supplying pipes.
Khndzoresq -is a village and rural community in the South-East of Armenia, in the province of Syunik. New Khndzoresk (the current inhabited area) was built in the 1950s. The village is located at 1580m above sea level and occupies 6772,8ha. Old Khndzoresk expended on both slopes of the mountain. These slopes had no flat areas necessary for construction of houses. And because of this, people used natural and man made caves on these slope as dwellings. Many of these dwellings were 20-30 m high from the ground, arranged one over the other so that the ceiling for one house was the floor for the other. These cave dwellings are many centuries old and the cave city itself seems to be more then 1000 years old. There were 4 churches in Old Khndzoresk:.
Khorakert -The monastery complex of Khorakert tower lie to the north-west of Sanahin and Haghpat, on the western slope of Mt.Lalvar, near of the village Jiliza (Lori district). The once rich monastery was built in a dense forest, among age old trees, and this influenced the distinctive architectural and artistic features of its structures.The main buildings of Khorakert are the main temples and the vestibule.
Khutchap -monastery is situated in the Lori district, in a thick forest at the foot of Lalvar Mountain. There used to be a village near the temple with the same name. The main church (XIIIc.) was situated in southern side of the complex. Khutchap monastery stands out with its harmony with environs, processed stone and high quality of decorations.
Kirants -is situated 12km west of the village Kirants in the Tavush district, on the left-bank of the picturesque wooded Kirants River ravine. It consists of three churches, two tunnel-vestibules, a refectory, and remainders of dwelling and auxiliary constructions, encircled in fortified walls with wide vaulted gates. Most of the buildings (churches, tunnel-vestibules) are built of baked tuff (burnt brick) and from this point of view the ensemble presents one of the unique erections of medieval Armenian architecture.
Kobayr monastery belongs to -a number of remarkable monastery complexes of medieval times, the history of which is closely connected with activities of famous medieval Armenian feudal houses - Kyurikid's, Bagratid's and others. It was one of the most important seats of the written language and cultural centers of Armenia.The monastery is situated in the southwestern part of Kobayr railway station road (Lori district, near the town of Tumanyan) on the high slopes of Debet ravine. There are uncommonly harmonic combinations of the complex with surrounding picturesque nature and which make the panorama of the monastery exceptionally impressive. The essential part of the complex consists of three churches, belfry-burial vaults, refectory, chapels, khachkars and remainders of walls of the fortress.
Lastiver -is located in Tavush region. Most of Tavush, which is in the North-East of Armenia, is covered with forests and green zones. The road itself is very interesting and attractive, especially for extreme lovers. During Mongol invasions in XIII-XIV cc locals found their shelter exactly in this cave. The cave is located on almost flat slope of the canyon. In order to reach the cave people had to construct a ladder, made of superposed logs. There is wonderful waterfall, noising in the bottom of the canyon. It is the inseparable part of local nature.
Lori berd -Its Ruins are located 5 km. to north-east of Stepanavan regional centre, on the left bank of River Dzoraget. The fortress was founded by David Anhoghin approximately in 1005-1020s. Ruins of Lori cover about 35 ha and are located on a plateau 1490 m above the sea level between Dzoraget River and its inflow Miskhan. Deep canyons of this area made the Lori berd fortress unapproachable. Comparatively on the easy side, on the north-west a huge wall was built and was 214 m. long, it had alternating round and square towers.
Makaravank -The monastery complex of Makaravank (Tavush district) in the north of Armenia occupies small high-altitude areas of the forested slopes of the Bazum mountain ridge. The monastery was surrounded with mighty walls. Numerous residential structures were situated on an enclosed territory. Makaravank's structures are built of dark-pink andesite and red tuff. The exterior decoration of Makaravank's main temple (1205) is the more expressive.
Varvara church -Kuys Varvara (the Virgin Barbara) is a revered religious figure in parts of Armenia, and the Tsaghkavank (Flower Monastery) is a cave shrine devoted to her on the southern slopes of Mount Ara. The mossy cave is reported to contain a spring, held as sacred by some believers. An altar, ferns, and candle vendors are also around the shrine. Legend holds that Saint Barbara was martyred by her cruel father for espousing Christianity. She is one of the saints of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
Vorotnaberd fortress -The exact date of the construction of this castle is unknown but it is believed to have been built in the 4th c. Already in the 5th c. Vorotaberd was one of the most famous and impregnable castles in Armenia.The large platform Vorotnaberd stands on resembles a triangle, protected on three sides by Vorotan canyon precipice. The castle once boasted outer walls running on the south-western side, with a small part of the wall with two towers preserved on the east. To the south-east is the citadel set at a height of about 50 m.
Yeghegis Zorats church -Zorats Yekeghetsi (literally, Soldier Church) sits on a hill overlooking the river. Recent excavations have uncovered a number of foundations from the early medieval times, when a monastery was established. They include well preserved walls and window casings. The church was created so that warriors sitting on their horses could receive the sacrament and the blessing of the Church before going to battle. The blessing of troops and their horses before battle were commonplace, but no other church in Armenia was built exactly for that purpose, and with the idea of bringing both steed and soldier into the outdoor sanctuary.
Yeghegis Jewish cemetery --The cemetery before you belonged to the Jewish community which lived in Yeghegis in the 13th-14th centuries. No other historical evidence for the existence of this community is known, nor of contemporaneous Jewish communities in Armenia. About 40 tombstones survived in the cemetery and about another 30 were found nearby. 10 tombstones bear inscriptions in Hebrew or Aramaic. The oldest tombstone is dated 1266 and the latest 1346, showing the cemetery was in use for at least 80 years. Just as the origins of the Jews of Yeghegis are mysterious so also the circumstances that caused this community's disappearance remain hidden. The cemetery was investigated by an Armenian-Israeli team in 2000-2003, headed by Prof. Michael E. Stone and Dr. David Amit. The evaluation of the cemetery and its renovation was initiated by Bishop
Zorats Qarer -